Reagan National Airport Traveler Update on Coronavirus
Project Journey construction activity affecting passengers at Reagan National
Most customers who fly at Reagan National will be minimally impacted by Project Journey construction activities. Airlines and flights will continue operating throughout the project, with the usual services and amenities. Changes will be implemented in phases and announced here.
Passengers are invited to become more familiar with the project, its major milestones and key benefits. Be among the first to know about upcoming changes by subscribing to Project Journey advisories and updates.
View travel tips for navigating the airport during construction.
Terminal B/C Arrivals/Bag Claim Roadway Available for Passenger Pick-Up
- As of Saturday, March 27, private vehicle and ride app pick-up will move back to the Terminal B/C Arrivals (lower) level roadway after a construction related closure.
- Use marked crosswalks on Arrivals to reach the median pick-up areas for private vehicles and ride apps.
- The Ticketing (upper) level will remain an additional option for private vehicle and ride app customers.
- Taxis will continue to pick-up on Arrivals, outside Door 5.
- See below a map of ground transporation locations:
Sidewalk Closed from Terminal B/C to Mount Vernon Trail
- The sidewalk leaving the airport to the north from Terminal B/C is closed during construction.
- Pedestrians cannot walk outside north of Door 9 from Terminal C, due to fencing at the new security checkpoints construction site.
- An alternate path connecting to the trail and Crystal City begins on the ground level of Terminal Garage C.
Terminal B/C Interior
- A temporary corridor has been constructed next to the north security checkpoint in Terminal C for passengers entering the new concourse (Gates 46-59).
- Customers departing from Gates 35-45 will enter the north security checkpoint as they do now, then continue straight ahead to their gate.
- Beginning April 20, customers departing from Gates 46-59 will follow signs that will route them through a secure corridor to the new concourse.
- Customers deplaning from flights at Gates 35-45 and exiting into the existing terminal will also follow the corridor to reach the airport exit, baggage claim and ground transportation.
- Signage will be posted to guide passengers to their desired location.
- A pair of elevators connecting Ticketing (Level 3), Concourse/Gates (Level 2) and Baggage Claim (Level 1) in Terminal B is closed for construction.
- Two remaining sets of elevators are available. Additionally, escalators are available.
Closure of Arrivals/Bag Claim (Lower-Level) Doors
- Construction has closed exit doors on the Terminal B/C Arrivals/Bag Claim level.
- Doors 1, 6, 7 and 12 are closed.
- Eight other doors remain available for passenger use.
Closure of Ticketing/Check-In (Upper-Level) Door
- Door 3 on the Terminal B/C Ticketing/Check-In level is closed for construction.
- Access between the terminal and roadway is available from any of the remaining five open doors.
Pedestrians to Navigate Through Temporary Protected Walkways
- Pedestrians are using a protected corridor between Terminal B/C and the Metro station.
Cell Phone Lot Closure
- The Cell Phone Lot is closed during terminal roadway construction.
- Customers are invited to use Terminal Garages A, B or C, where parking is FREE for up to 60 minutes.
When Project Journey is completed, two new 50,000-square-foot security checkpoint buildings will replace three smaller checkpoints currently serving Terminal B/C – increasing the post-security space to include all of National Hall and its premier shops and restaurants for ticketed travelers. In addition, a new 14-gate concourse will replace Gate 35X – ending the need for travelers to ride buses to board regional jets parked outside. Concourse amenities will include jetbridges, holdrooms, concessions and an American Airlines Admirals Club lounge.